HUMBOLDT COUNTY CONSERVATION
Address: 205 5th Street North
PO Box 100
Dakota City IA 50529
Phone: 515 332-4087
The Humboldt County Conservation Board was established in 1959, as per ruling of the 56th General Assembly. The Conservation board consists of Robert Rasmussen, Tate Satern, Mary Miner, Brad Emick and T.C. Loving. Members serve 5-year terms. We have approximately 195 acres divided between 3 major parks, available to the public for camping, fishing, hiking or just plain relaxation. We also have approx 276 acres of public land that is habitat and open for hunting, bird watching, and nature photography. The 38 acres purchased in 2007 has seen usage by many fishermen as well as hunters in the fall of 2008. We are improving the road for access when possible. Signage has been established. Plans include improved boat access and canoe portages for the River Trail. Also under our management is approximately 33 miles of trails running entirely across the county, with attached spur trails. Projects or programs:
- Mothers Day weekend is the annual Lake Nokomis Rendezvous held in Lower Sheldon Park.
- Disc Golf - located in lower Sheldon is open year round
- Tree plantings - thru grants from MidAmerican Energy $1,000 each the last couple of year's approximately 100 mixed shade trees have been planted in Gotch and Sheldon parks. It is hoped 20-30 trees can be planted yearly to replace damaged or diseased trees
- Conservation education programs are available. Programs routinely are held at care centers and schools, as well as some evening programs.
- A Log Cabin was constructed at Gotch, and will be available for rent.
- A deck was constructed at the point at Gotch with steps leading to the river. Prisoners from Rockwell City assisted with this project.
- An Archery range was constructed in Upper Sheldon with the help of the Local Archery club. They hold 4 to 5 shoots per year using 3D targets drawing about 300 people to each shoot.
- A new restroom/shower facility is currently under construction at Joe Sheldon Park with a completion date this summer.
Conservation: 3 Full-time, 1 regular part-time and 3 or 4 Seasonal part-time employees
Todd Lee - Director
Address: 208 5th St N., P.O. Box 100, Dakota City IA 50529-0100
Chris Clarken - Operations Supervisor
Address: 208 5th St N., P.O. Box 100, Dakota City, IA 50529-0100
David Erdman - Maintenance Technician
Address: 208 5th St N., P.O. Box 100 Dakota City IA 50529-0100